FitBEAT is an energetic dance workout, created by Joelle D’Fontaine, with exercises that work you to the core and music that has you singing along. Original dance moves keep you focused and engaged in the class and the dimmed lighting helps boost confidence and allows you to focus on yourself. Healthy Living London’s Hannah Cox headed to a class to find out more.
Arriving home after a summer holiday can be pretty demotivating. Without the hypnotic blue of a sun drenched swimming pool to get you moving and help work off the indulgence of those beautiful umbrella clad cocktails, it is easy to become one with the sofa. The idea of heading to the claustrophobic, stagnant air of the gym can make you want to catch up on Netflix! However, I was invited to a FitBEAT class with Joelle D’Fontaine and I am so glad I went. Joelle is a force of positivity and inspiration to his students and his passion for dance is clear.
“Be inspired by Beyoncé, but don’t try and be her because you are already unique! Even Beyoncé couldn’t be you.” Joelle D’Fontaine
I arrived at Sylvia Young feeling a little nervous as it reminded me of dance school days of strict Ballet teachers with snooty noses and pointed fingers! However, as I entered the studio, my anxiety was rapidly dissolved as a friendly and enthusiastic Joelle introduced himself. His presence was immediately uplifting and his joy for teaching and dance was obvious.
“Don’t question that you are anything other than awesome! Everybody that matters probably thinks that about you anyway and everyone that doesn’t, just doesn’t know you yet .” Joelle D’Fontaine
The lights were dimmed and the music was turned up as the FitBEAT class began. Joelle led his students through an original and energetic warm-up, including a few sultry movements that got my heart pumping! With 20 second breaks between each block, I was able to catch my breath and have a drink of water; while Joelle explained what we would be doing next and demonstrated any required choreography. The first few blocks led us thorough full body movements, such as side-steps, knee raises and bum kicks. Joelle was original in his choreography and led us through the movements seamlessly. The dimmed lighting disguised any potential error! Some blocks targeted specific areas of the body, with a countdown to help motivate and complete the exercise!
“Don’t spend time dusting and cleaning someone else’s pedal stool! Learn and gather the tools to build your own one twice as high.” Joelle D’Fontaine
Each targeted area was thoroughly worked, with movements that were easy to follow. Joelle walked around the studio, making sure each pupil was following the movements correctly. I always appreciate when instructors do this as it shows attention to detail and care, even if it can make the exercise harder! The class was fun, with smiles all round. There is no pressure or judgement, but rather a welcoming and encouraging atmosphere. FitBEAT worked my body, but it also left me feeling positive and happy. I love workouts that are fun and I find FitBEAT to be uplifting and exhilarating. The class was energising and I left with a smile on my face.
Joelle has created a range of classes…
- StrutBEAT – A class filled with poses to help you embrace your confidence whilst learning moves to the latest sexy tunes. (All levels, but absolute beginners should try FitBEAT first to make sure that they are confident following along and learning snippets of a routine)
- UrbanBEAT – Learn the latest hip hop dance moves and impress your mates at the club! (Intermediate)
- VideoBEAT – Learn the choreography to your favourite dance videos. (Intermediate/Advanced)
- WorkshopBEAT – A longer version of VideoBEAT, so you can really get confident with the movements and make them your own! (Intermediate/Advanced)
Joelle’s top tips and advice for joining any At Your Beat class…
- First thing you will learn is how to master being totally switched off from the day you had!
- Realise that dance is something EVERYONE can do with the right teacher and a welcoming environment.
- If you arrive at the class excited, you will leave elated!
- You will wish time would go slower so you can have more time to dance!
- Sweating from doing something that’s so much fun is actually allowed in fitness!
Find Out More…
What You Need: Comfortable workout wear, water and a small towel. Also, energy and a smile!
Who’s It For: FitBEAT is suited for anyone wanting to have fun and enjoy their workout, but it helps if you have co-ordination!
How Much: From £10, check out the special offers.
Where: London – Angel, Kings Cross, Leicester Square and Marylebone.
Find Out More: Website – @atyourbeat, Twitter – @atyourbeat, Instagram – @atyourbeat, Facebook – @atyourbeat , Classpass
*Photos courtesy of At Your Beat.
**Health Advice: It is advisable to consult with your doctor before beginning any new exercise program.