These vegan sweetcorn fritters were made especially for Rosie Flynn, who came over for brunch one day. I made these alongside ‘normal’ fritters and they were both super tasty and easy to make. In fact, you can’t even tell that they don’t have egg in them.
Corn fritters are also pretty tasty served up cold so are suitable for picnics too. They’re quite heavy so you definitely need more than 3 or 4 per person before you’re full. They’re the perfect brunch recipe as they don’t take long to make and within 30 minutes you can have them all cooked and plated up.
Similarly to the ‘normal’ sweetcorn fritters, you can sneak in extra veg if you fancy. I’ve used courgette for this, but it’s also worth experimenting with red onion, peppers, finely diced mushrooms etc and also other herbs and spices – I’m thinking about making a spiced one too with cumin…
- 80g plain flour
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Plenty of black pepper
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- ¼ courgette, grated
- ¼ cup coriander, chopped
- 1.5 cups of sweetcorn
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Oil to fry
- Food process ½ cup sweetcorn with the coriander and spring onion until chunky.
- Meanwhile, sift the flour and baking powder together with the paprika and add water, a tablespoon by tablespoon until you have a thick paste. Usually this takes approximately 8-10 tablespoons.
- To this, add the food processed ingredients, as well as the courgette and the rest of the sweetcorn and mix well.
- Heap 2 tablespoons of mix per fritter in a hot frying pan and cook until golden on both sides.
- Serve with smashed avocado, chili jam or even with a roast baby tomato salad.
Are you also a fritter fan? Let us know in the comments below!