If you have time (approx. 45 mins) and a lot of patience (lots of stirring!), butternut squash risotto is one of my favourite recipes. This recipe serves 2-4 people and is perfect for all you Veganuary participants!
Just because this recipe contains healthy ingredients doesn’t mean that you should eat it all the time, though it may be delicious! It can easily become unhealthy with over indulgence. With a sensible potion size, it is a healthy meal which is fresh and filling. If you want to be even healthier, serve with a salad or green beans. You could even swap out the risotto rice for brown rice…
- 1 Tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Butternut Squash, peeled and diced
- 400 Grams Risotto Rice
- 2 Litres Water
- 1 Tbsp Bouillon Reduced Salt, for stock
- 4 Tbsp Toasted Pine Nuts
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Sage
- Pepper to taste
- Pour the water into a pan and place over medium heat
- Add the bouillon to make stock and keep stirring, to allow the bouillon to dissolve
- Add the sunflower oil to another pan and place over medium heat
- Stir in the garlic, sage and onion and cook until lightly brown
- Add the diced squash and cook for approximately 5 mins, until softened
- Add the risotto rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally
- Add 200ml of the stock, stirring occasionally, until the stock has been absorbed (approx 5-10 mins)
- Pour in half of the remaining stock, keep stirring until the stock has been absorbed (approx. 10-15 mins)
- Pour in the remainder of the stock, keep stirring until absorbed (approx.10-15 mins)
- Stir in nutritional yeast (optional) and pepper
- Serve into dishes and top with toasted pine nuts
- Serve Immediately
*Health Advice: Please check the ingredients, for any potential allergy information.
Radian C says
I’m pretty pleased to discover this site. I wanted to thank you for
your time for this particularly fantastic read!! I definitely savored every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to look at new things in your website.
Hannah Cox says
Radian C, thank you for your kind comments. I will be making this dish several times this Veganuary!