This mouthwatering Summer BBQ dish combines the classic comfort of a hotdog with a zesty kick that will leave your taste buds begging for more. The best part? This version uses Moving Mountains vegan hotdog, making it a perfect option for all the veggie lovers out there. So, gather your ingredients and prepare your taste buds!
Cheesy Japaleno Hotdogs
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cooking Time: 10 mins
- 4 Moving Mountains Hot Dogs
- 4 Hot Dog Buns
- 25g plant-based butter
- 25g plain flour
- 200ml plant-based milk
- 90g vegan grated cheese (we went with a red Leicester style)
- 25g vegan American style cheese
- 2 jalapeños, (1 finely chopped, and 1 finely sliced)
- 4tbsp mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- Mustard and ketchup, to serve
- First, start to cook your Moving Mountains Hot Dogs, following the on-pack instructions. You can boil, fry, or grill them on a BBQ!
- Whilst your hotdogs cook, take a saucepan, and begin to heat the vegan butter on a medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute to make a paste. Slowly pour in the plant-based milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Bring the sauce to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let the sauce simmer until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the vegan cheeses to the sauce, whisking until melted and smooth. Add the finely chopped jalapeno and season the sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo and sriracha sauce to make the sriracha mayo.
- Assemble the hot dogs, spread the sriracha mayo on one side of the hot dog bun, and the other side with the cheesy sauce. Add your choice of mustard and ketchup on top, and garnish with finely sliced jalapenos. Serve and enjoy! (Use any of that spare cheese sauce on some yummy cheesy chips).
Wondering what to eat these cheesy jalapeno hotdogs with? Why not try:
- Sweet Potato Fries: Crispy and seasoned sweet potato fries make an excellent side dish for hotdogs. Their natural sweetness complements the spicy jalapenos and adds a delightful contrast of flavours.
- Coleslaw: A refreshing and creamy coleslaw pairs wonderfully with hotdogs. The coolness and crunch of the coleslaw provide a nice balance to the cheesy and spicy elements of the hotdogs.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob: Take advantage of the summer season by grilling some fresh corn on the cob. Brushed with vegan butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper, the smoky and slightly sweet corn kernels offer a delicious accompaniment.
- Baked Beans: Classic baked beans are a comforting and hearty choice to serve alongside hotdogs. The rich, savory flavors of the beans complement the cheesy hotdogs and add a satisfying element to the meal.
- Mixed Green Salad: For a lighter option, serve the hotdogs with a mixed green salad. Toss together a variety of fresh greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and a tangy vinaigrette. The crisp and vibrant salad provides a refreshing contrast to the indulgent hotdogs.
How will you eat yours?!