GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE | VEGAN
Serves 6 as part of nibbles
We’ve called this Happy Hummous because it’s amazing comfort food that’s generally eaten in a group with friends AND it’s full of fibre and protein. Our recipe has been tried, tested and tweaked over the last few months and we think we’ve finally cracked it.
Our happy hummous recipe takes 10 minutes to make and you can tuck in as soon as it’s been blended. All you need are things to eat it with. You can use canned chickpeas or dried ones – just make sure you soak them overnight and boil them thoroughly. For busy Londoners, we’ve used canned chickpeas. We’ve also cheated slightly and we’ve used tahini.
- 2 cans of chickpeas
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 pinch Himalayan Sea Salt
- A pinch of cracked black pepper
- 2 heaped tbsp tahini
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Save 1/4 can of the water that the chickpeas were in.
- Rinse the chickpeas thoroughly and pour them into a bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth. If required, add a tablespoon at a time of the chickpea water.
- Taste as you go, adding pepper or extra virgin olive oil as you go until it’s as desired.
- Serve immediately or store covered in the fridge. Eat within 3 days.
It’s really important to use good quality ingredients in this. Each one can be tasted and each makes a difference. For example, there’s nothing better than the peppery taste of good extra virgin olive oil. And don’t forget, extra virgin olive oil also has benefits for heart health – but with everything you eat, moderation is best!