Prep time: 30 mins | Cooking time: 40 mins | Serves: 12
For the pastry:
- 70g ground almonds
- 70g chestnut flour
- 85g The Groovy Food Company, organic coconut flour
- 140g The Groovy Food Company, organic virgin coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
For the filling:
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 110g The Groovy Food Company, organic virgin coconut oil
- 110 The Groovy Food Company, organic agave nectar, light amber & mild
- 200g The Groovy Food Company, organic coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla bean paste, or 1 vanilla pod deseeded.
- 100g pecan halves
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted). You will need a non-stick 9inch loose bottom tart tin.
- Place all the flours in a mixing bowl together with sea salt and coconut oil using your hands form into a ball. Once the ball is formed, place into the base of your tart tin and smooth out on the base and up the sides so it’s even all around. Then refrigerate the pastry case for 30 minutes until hard.
- To roast the pecans, place in the oven for 10-12 minutes on a baking mat, stirring a few times so they don’t burn, until they are light brown and fragrant. Set aside and let them cool.
- In a medium sized saucepan melt the coconut oil, agave syrup and coconut sugar until smooth and soft. Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Then ad the beaten eggs to the mixture and stir well.
- Remove the pasty case from the fridge, pour in the melted mixture and decorate with the pecan halves flat side down.
- Place into the pre-heated oven and back for 45-50 minutes. Check on the pie after 35 minutes as you may want to add a sheet of foil over the pie to prevent the crust and nuts from burning.
- The mixture will rise in the oven, but don’t be alarmed, once out of the oven it will return to its natural shape.
- Serve with dairy free cream or banana ice cream.