Serves 2: 518kcal, 21g carbs, 34g fat, 27g protein
Toral Shah, Director of home-delivered, gourmet health meals, The Urban Kitchen, shares her nutrient-packed, brain-food dish, Healthy Mackerel and Beetroot Salad.
This salad is full of minerals and is quick and easy to put together after a hard day at work. The beetroot is a rich source of iron, whilst the mackerel is a great source of omega-3 fats that we actually need for our brains.
- 100g beetroot, cooked and cut into wedges peeled (buy from supermarket, not in vinegar)
- 50g of watercress or peppery salad leaves
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 100g smoked mackerel fillets, broken into pieces
- 10ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp minced horseradish
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Place the beetroot, spring onions, watercress and rocket in a large bowl.
- Add all the ingredients of the dressing to a jar and shake.
- Warm up the fish under the grill for 5 minutes or in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the fish to the salad and pour the dressing, mixing well.
- Serve immediately.