GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE | PALEO
The perfect meal for sharing with friends – plus you can use pretty much any meat and whatever vegetables you have in the fridge.
If you’re on a low-carb or paleo eating plan then this lettuce boat recipe is the way forward. Plus, they’re fun to eat and the action of making them helps you slow down your eating so you’ve got more time to feel fuller. And yes, these will fill you up!
- 1 Cos Lettuce
- 500g minced meat (we used pork but turkey is really good too)
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- ½ red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs turmeric
- 3 handfuls of baby spinach, washed
- 6 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lemongrass stalks, finely chopped
- ½ red deseeded chilli, finely chopped
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- Chop the base off the cos lettuce, separate the leaves and wash well. Lay 2 each out on plates.
- Fry the onion and the mince until browned.
- Add the turmeric, chilli and lemongrass stalks and stir until well mixed.
- Add the vegetable stock cube and stir for a couple of minutes until dissolved.
- Add in the tomatoes, puree and pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If it become too dry, add a splash of water.
- Finally, just before serving, add in the spinach and mix well until it wilts.
- Fill your lettuce boats with the mixture.
- Put the remaining mixture in a bowl and serve with the rest of the leaves – the idea is to fill these yourselves.
- Eat immediately, with plenty of napkins to hand – it can get messy.