There’s nothing more warming in winter than a filling root veg soup. And we’re all about healthy ‘fast food’ and with this recipe, we’re using ready-made carrot and parsnip mash, plus pumpkin. Ideal for busy households and parents.
Serves 6 | Cooking time: 45 mins
- 1 pack of Mash Direct Carrot & Parsnip Mash
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 sticks of celery (chopped)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cans vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 pumpkin (peeled, deseeded, diced)
- 1 cup of water (more if needed)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heavy/whipping cream or fat free sour cream
- Sauté the onion and celery in a large pot on a medium heat for five-seven minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the pot, stir, and cook for two minutes until fragrant. Add the Mash Direct Carrot & Parsnip Mash, vegetable broth, pumpkin, water, dried thyme, cumin, and salt & pepper to taste.
- With the lid slightly ajar, simmer the soup on medium-low heat for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then purée in batches using a blender. If the soup is too thick, add water to thin it out a bit.
- Serve with a swirl of fat free sour cream if desired. For the spooky season, the spider web design can be made using a wooden kebab skewer.