The United Kingdom has been in and out of lockdown for over a year now, so when I’ve had the chance to legally and safely get away, I go! The Salomon OUTLIFE duffel is the ideal weekend away bag; waterproof, roomy, lightweight, optional backpack straps and a bunch of zipped pockets… you can throw your things in and go. Ideal for short weekend staycations or even a long weekend abroad, this bag is so useful and in the Hawaiian blue, you’ll easily spot it on the carousel.
The Salomon OUTLIFE Duffel
Grabbing my Salomon OUTLIFE duffel, slinging it on my back and heading outdoors is a wonderful feeling after being locked indoors for the better part of a year. I find this duffel useful and is my go-to bag for weekend away trips and here’s why…
- Handles – There are handles on all sides of the bag, meaning it’s easy to lift and carry, with multiple choices. You can also attach items and clip on a water bottle for example, to these durable seat-belt style handles. They are strong and handy.
- Zipped Pockets – Other than the large main compartment, there are several zipped compartments. I find it useful having pockets, so that items can be organised or separated. The lined compartment at the base of the bag is especially useful for wet clothes or muddy shoes, with easy exterior access.
- Optional Backpack Straps – As a frequent traveller, I love this option. The straps unhook at one end and neatly tuck away into a concealed compartment for a seamless look. This thoughtful design means straps won’t be left loose and potentially break; carousels or careless baggage handlers being a few of the culprits. This option means you can use you bag as a backpack, but when checking your bag, you can safely store the straps.
- The Colour – You’ll easily spot your bag riding the carousel as it will stand out from all the black bags that people are quizically staring at, wondering if that bag is theirs!
- Internal Straps – To hold your things in place. I like these as they help me stay organised.
- Waterproof – The bag is waterproof. Although I’ve not tested it by throwing it in the ocean, it did withstand the recent stormy weather that is too frequent in the UK right now.
- The Size – I didn’t have a bag this size. I have several small wheeled weekend bags, smaller backpacks and large holiday suitcase bags. This size is ideal for long weekends away. The soft shell, as opposed to a hard suitcase, means it can be stuffed full and easily stored. Although the size is slightly too big for cabin baggage, it could still be used in the cabin… potentially. If you don’t stuff it full, the bag can be pushed down, to fit in those annoying cages at the airport… but it’s up to you.
- Zips – strong and big, plus they have that interlocking circle thing (don’t know the technical term) so you can padlock your bag.
- Duffel – I love sailing and use my OUTLIFE duffel on weekend sailing trips. With any sailboat, space is a prized commodity. Once unpacked, this bag rolls up and stows in a small mesh bag, so that it can be easily stowed when not in use. The mesh bag can also be used for keeping shoes in.
The Technical Details
- Volume – 70L
- Weight 1115g
- Body – 80% Polyamide, 20% Thermoplastic Polyurethane
- Body Insert – 80% Polyamide, 20% Thermoplastic Polyurethane
- Bottom – 100% Polyamide
- Lining – 100% Polyester
- Do Not Bleach
- Do Not Dry Clean
- Do Not Tumble Dry
- Do Not Iron
- Do Not Wash
- 2 year warranty
Find Out More
If you need inspiration for packing, check out our weekend away checklist here.
*Health Advice: Check with local guidelines regarding travel restrictions and advice. UK Government’s roadmap out of lockdown