Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 45 mins | Serves: 9 people
For the cake:
- 125g The Groovy Food Company Agave Nectar Rich and Dark
- 200g golden syrup
- 200g black treacle
- 400g gluten free self-raising flour, sifted
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 4 pieces of stem ginger, chopped finely
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
For the icing:
- 150g icing sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Line and grease a 23cm/9in deep square cake tin.
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas 3.
- Place the butter, The Groovy Food Company Agave Rich and Dark, golden syrup and black treacle into a pan and heat gently until the mixture has melted evenly. Set aside to cool.
- Sift the flour, ground ginger into a large mixing bowl and add the stem ginger and mix gently. Pour the cooled butter mixture into the flour. Add the eggs and beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the tin and level the surface with a palette knife or the back of a spoon. Bake for 45- 50 minutes, or until the cake has risen and is golden-brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Set aside to cool slightly in the tin, then transfer the cake to a wire rack and set aside to cool completely.
- To make the lemon icing sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add about two tablespoons of the juice from a lemon juice and mix to a smooth paste. Add more lemon until you get a smooth but runny icing. Pour the icing over the cooled cake and spread lightly, allowing it to ooze over the edges. Sprinkle over chopped lemon zest and set the cake aside until the icing has set.
- Cut into 9 pieces (3 by 3 inch squares). Share with friends and family!