Healthy Living London’s Hannah and Lucinda met Eat Wild’s Will and Calum at an event in London recently and were so impressed that they headed to the Eat Wild restaurant in Cirencester for lunch. Inspired by the delicious offerings on the Eat Wild menu, Healthy Living London asked the Thompson Brothers to share a healthy recipe; a Healthy Venison Fillet and Wilted Kale Salad. (Grilled vegetables or halloumi can replace the meat for vegetarians!)
Everyone knows kale is a superfood, it was undeniably the “trendy” veg of 2014/2015 however few people are aware of venison being a superfood! It is the original red meat and has a quarter of the saturated fat of beef, a third of the cholesterol and more protein.
Here is a quick and easy superfood salad…
3″ long roe fillet
Small bunch of kale
1 mug of cherry tomatoes
1/2 mug red onion thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves
Knob of salted butter
1) Set oven at 190℃.
2) In a small bowl liberally coat roe fillet with rapeseed oil and sea salt.
3) Put a skillet on a high heat, dry.
4) Whilst the pan is heating, with your hands tear the kale (minus the stems) into small bite sized pieces.
5) Mince your garlic.
6) Sear each end of your roe fillet I the skillet before searing both sides.
7) Transfer fillet to baking tray in oven for about 7 1/2 minutes, this will achieve rare, leave for longer if you would prefer the meat less pink.
8) Turn skillet heat down to medium and add rapeseed oil, butter, garlic, kale, halved tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, and sauté for no more than 1 minute.
9) Whilst sautéing the greens, allow the steak to rest for a few minutes.
10) Slice the fillet on the oblique and combine in the bowl with onions, greens, and all the juices.
11) Dress with more rapeseed oil if required.
Enjoy eating wild!
Why not pair your meal with a Cucumber Cooler by Eat Wild…
2 tbsp. fresh peas
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1 mint sprig
2 oz. vodka
4 oz. cucumber juice
Cucumber slices, mint and peas to garnish
Muddle peas, lemon juice, sugar and mint.
Add to a cocktail shaker with the vodka, cucumber juice and ice.
Shake vigorously until well chilled.
Strain into a glass, top with the sparkling water and garnish.
*Health Advice: If you are concerned about allergies, please consult with your doctor.