GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE | VEGAN
Black rice, you say? For breakfast? Yes, we say. It’s truly delicious AND nutritious and who sets the rules for what you can and can’t eat for breakfast anyway? This black coconut rice and mango porridge will have you rethinking your morning meals.
With a sticky texture and nutty taste, there’s a reason why it was once known as Emperor’s rice and was supposedly grown only for his consumption. Just as brown rice is healthier than white, black rice has even further benefits. Out of all three types, it has the most protein at 8.5g for every 100g. There’s also 3.5mg of iron and 4.9g of fibre. A study in the Journal of Nutrition also found that rabbits fed a diet of black rice had a 50% reduction in atherosclerotic plaque compared to rabbits fed white rice*. It has also been considered that there are the same amount of antioxidants in a tablespoon of blueberries as black rice.
With all these benefits in mind, this black coconut and mango porridge really perks up a morning – it’s creamy, nutty and the fresh mango provides a delicate sweetness and freshness.
Enjoy something different for breakfast, such as this black coconut rice and mango porridge. It’s filling, fruity and fresh and easy to make.
- 1/2 mango, peeled
- 3/4 cup raw black rice
- 1/3 can coconut milk
- Add the rice to a saucepan and add double the amount of water. Bring to the book and simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes, topping up the saucepan with water whenever it dries out – you always want the rice to be wet.
- You’ll notice the rice will ‘crack’ as it expands – this is a good sign.
- Add the coconut milk and stir thoroughly. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes. If required, add more coconut milk.
- Turn the heat off and let the rice rest for 5-10 minutes. It will thicken.
- Spoon the rice equally.
- Slice the mango and add to the top of the rice.
- Serve immediately! The rice should be warm, rather than piping hot.