VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE
Susie, aka Gourmet Glow, shares her beautifully light fennel and clementine salad that is so easy that total kitchen newbies will be able to rustle this up in minutes. She was inspired by the overload of oranges at Christmas and the healthy benefits of fennel and combined the two to make this fresh, sweet salad.
Did you know that fennel has lots of great health benefits; lacking cholesterol but full of fibre, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and folate, it supports heart health, including helping to lower cholesterol.
It’s also good for treating anaemia as it contains both iron and histadine, an amino acid which helps stimulate the production of haemoglobin.
Best of all, this fennel and clementine salad recipe is also dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan. We recommend that you use a mandolin to slice the fennel but a sharp knife works just as well. If you want you can even grate it.
Shaved Fennel & Clementine Salad Recipe
- 1 fennel bulb shaved on a mandoline (watch your fingers!) or very finely sliced
- 3 clementines, pith removed, segmented
- 2 clementines juiced
- 4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1tsp maldon salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground black pepper.
- Mix the clementine segments with the fennel.
- Blitz the remaining ingredients until emulsified.
- Dress the salad and leave to infuse in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
What did you eat this refreshing side salad with? Perhaps you’ve got your own take on it? If so, share this recipe or let us know in the comments below.